Since Google changed their "About Me" feature, I decided to finally add an About Me page.
I've been blogging here at Jen's Book Thoughts for over five years and the creation of the blog was a bit of a response to my leaving the teaching field. I was a high school English teacher for a half dozen years and after leaving the profession felt the loss of book discussion in my everyday life. Each day I would go in and discuss books with my students. Not having that outlet left a bit of an empty feeling in me. Then I discovered this online world where people were talking to each other about books on blogs. The rest, as they say, is history. I continue to delight in learning and sharing new things about books, authors, reading, readers, the whole shebang.
The blog has also led to a large shift in careers for me. After leaving the classroom, I worked in a variety of roles: administrative assistant, tech writer, adult professional development coordinator. But as various freelance opportunities connected with publishing became available, I took the leap and became a full-time freelancer. These days I work on author web sites, coordinate social media, review books and help recruit for book tours. Who knows what tomorrow may bring!
As I've transitioned into a freelancing lifestyle, my hobbies have kind of been put on hold, but I still love crafting. I crochet, scrapbook, stamp. I can also be obnoxious with a camera, trying to catch everything on film, er...disc, er....memory stick? Wow has photography changed in my lifetime. I'm also learning Photoshop and becoming rather obsessed with it. I putter in my flowerbeds when time permits, but my landscaping abilities leave much to be desired. Someday I'll take a class on that. Various plants fill my house as well.
I'm an animal lover to the nth degree. I have a chocolate lab, Nestlé, and four rescue cats. Someone once asked me how many cats constitutes "crazy cat lady." I'm not sure but some days I sure feel like that person. It's a veritable zoo here. No wonder I feel so comfortable visiting zoos when I travel!
Five fast fun facts about Forbus:
- My favorite book of all time remains TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.
- As of this date (August 2013) I've never traveled outside the continental United States save for a weekend trip to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls when I was in high school. This is not for lack of desire to do so, by the way. It's on my bucket list.
- I love Harry Connick, Jr. My first trip to New York City was to see him on Broadway in The Pajama Gama. Still my favorite musical theater experience ever.
- In high school I learned to score baseball games and was the team statistician for three years. I still love to score games...anybody know a team that could use my skills?
- When I started college I was going to be an architect. When I finished I had a dual degree in English and Sports Medicine. Seems I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
Other places you can find me on the web:
My "It Takes Two" post at Jungle Red Writers
My post at Jungle Red Writers about the Six-Word Memoir series I hosted here
At Meanderings and Muses I discuss whether to finish every book or not
Also at Meanderings and Muses I talk about discovering new authors
An interview I did with Amber Stults for Book Blogger Appreciation Week
An interview I did with Dana Kaye of Kaye Publicity
My Books to Die For choice on the Shotsmag Confidential Blog
An interview I did with the folks at Old Books on Front Street
Author Tom Schreck interviews me
A guest post about listening to audiobooks that I did at the Literate Housewife Blog
A podcast that I participated in at Linus' Blanket
A guest post I did for Booklist's Mystery Month feature
I interviewed Alafair Burke at the Mulholland Books blog
A Fresh Meat article I did for Criminal Element
My Lego interview with Hilary Davidson for Crimespree
In addition, I contribute a monthly pick to Pop Culture Nerd's Nerdy Special List and can be found interviewing and reviewing at Shelf Awareness for Readers. Welcome and thanks for stopping by!