Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Half Way Point

Wow! How is 2015 already half over? I had to double check myself when I wrote that 7 in the month's place of my date.

How's reading going for you this year? Standout favorites?

There is still plenty more to come before we bid this year adieu, but here's a look at my reading so far:

• I've read 61 books by 61 different authors (no multiple reads of an author as of yet)
  • 46 by authors who are new to me
  • 18 are debuts
  • 47 fiction vs. 14 non-fiction
  • 42 print books vs. 19 audiobooks
  • 38 books written by men vs. 24 books written by women (the overlap is one book written by a male/female team)

And from that list, my favorite crime novels are:

5. The Devil's Game (Sean Chercover)
4. Night Life (David C. Taylor)
3. Brush Back (Sara Paretsky)
2. Hush, Hush (Laura Lippman)
1. Dry Bones (Craig Johnson)

My favorite audiobooks:

3. Gun Street Girl (Adrian McKinty)
2. Night Life (David C. Taylor)
1. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (Gabrielle Zevin)

My overall favorite reads:

5. Hush, Hush (Laura Lippman)
4. A Force for Good (Daniel Goleman)
3. Dry Bones (Craig Johnson)
2. Trigger Warnings (Neil Gaiman)
1. My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry (Fredrik Backman)

So your turn, share in the comments what's high on your list of reads so far this year.

Malcolm Avenue Review July 7, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Oh, I love stats. I will figure out my reading in your categories and come back and let you know. I would have guessed your non-fiction count to be more than 14, you've been reading so much non-fiction! I think it just feels like more because every title sounds so good. No fat to trim from that list (at least from what you've shared). Also interesting you've not read more than one offering from any one author. I now see that doing so is difficult when you're reviewing; it's one of the things on the con side of the list. But the new discoveries are great, aren't they?
Thanks for sharing your list and stats, fascinating stuff.

Lani Strom July 7, 2015 at 8:11 PM

OMG..I loved,loved loved My Grandmother Asked me to tell you she's sorry. I never wanted it to end . I kept thinking how lucky the author's kids are to have him as a daddy. He must create the best stories for them.My other favorites were Where they Found Her, Finding Jake and The Bone Tree. One to come out 7/28 that I adored is Circling the Sun.

Malcolm Avenue Review July 7, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Ok, here's how my stats come out. I didn't do debut, because sometimes I didn't know and there was no way I was looking all those up. :) I also had to add ebooks into the mix because, well, because I read ebooks. I had no idea I was getting so much audio done. To be fair, some of those were short story collections/novellas, but I still counted them.

61% men, 39% women
60% authors new to me
78% fiction, 22% non-fiction (I was dismayed at this, it feels like I've been reading so much non-fiction this year)
49% tree book, 35% audio, 16% ebook

Thank you, that was fun. Now to think about how I want to change those for the second half of the year.

BethFishReads July 8, 2015 at 7:26 AM

I haven't repeated too many authors this year so far either. I keep meaning to read Grandmother ... maybe before summer's end?

jen_forbus July 8, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Lo, I was surprised at my non-fiction number, too. Seemed like it should have been higher. Your hypothesis on why must be right. ;-)

jen_forbus July 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Lani, I know! He's such an amazing storyteller. Did you read A MAN CALLED OVE, too?

jen_forbus July 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM

You definitely HAVE to make time for Grandmother...sooooo wonderful! :-)

clea_simon July 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Encouraging to see that you are taking a chance on so many new/new to you authors. Personally looking forward to the Laura Lippman. My own fave for the year thus far is Naomi Novik's "Uprooted." Fantasy, but rooted (!) in traditional Polish folklore.