Saturday, November 29, 2014

My Life According to Books

Welcome to today's Thankfully Reading Weekend mini-challenge. This is a meme I have done for the past several years, thanks to my friend Pop Culture Nerd. This year I collaborated with her to come up with the sentence starters and we're sharing it with you for this mini-challenge.

For those who haven't heard of this fun activity before, I'm going to give you the beginnings to ten sentences. You complete the sentences with book titles from books you've read this year. They don't have to be books that were published this year, just books you read this year.

You can see Pop Culture Nerd's responses here. And the responses I gave for previous years include last year, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009 (yes, I obviously enjoy this--I hope you do, too).

So now on to this year's feature:

1. Black Friday makes me: Roosevelt's Beast (Louis Bayard)

2. If you post racists comments on Facebook, I: (flip) The Kill Switch (James Rollins & Grant Blackwood)

3. In my ID photo, I look like: (I belong in) Morgue Drawer 4 (Jutta Profijt)

4. If someone interrupts my reading, I: Think Like a Freak (Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner)

5. When I read/watch the news I: (become an) Angry Optimist (Lisa Rogak)

6. The last time I (we) visited the zoo, I (we): (were) The Happiest People in the World (Brock Clarke)

7. If I were a Supreme Court justice, I would: (dole out) Just Mercy (Bryan Stevenson)

8. Absolutely nothing compares to: Adventures in the Anthropocene (Gaia Vince)

9. Best advice my mom gave me was: Don't Look Back (Gregg Hurwitz)

10. My hope for 2015 is: A Better World (Marcus Sakey)

O.k. what do you think? Ready to take a shot at it? You can post to your blog or leave a comment with your responses. If you post to your blog, be sure to come back and leave us a link so we can come see your responses! It's so much fun to see what everyone comes up with for these.

Becky LeJeune November 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Here's mine:

Kristen H. November 29, 2014 at 11:27 AM I added mine to my readathon post!! :)

Heather M. November 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM

No blog. So here it is, answers by number:

1. ...Shopaholic to the Stars --Sophie Kinsella
2. ...(think you deserve) Annihilation --Jeff VanderMeer
3. ... Margot (??) -- Jillian Cantor
4. ...(it better be to satisfy my) Sweet Tooth ---Ian McEwan
5. ...(I'm usually) Cleaning Nabokov's House ---Leslie Daniels
6. ... (pretended we were) The Swiss Family Robinson --Johan David Wyss
7. ... (Look for) Pardonable Lies --Jaqueline Winspear
8. ... Paris in Love --Eloisa James
9. ... (always have ) A Place at the Table (for a lonely soul) --- Susan Rebecca White
10. ... Tres Leches Cupcakes (for everyone!) ---Josi Kilpack

Pop Culture Nerd November 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Your answers for 2 and 3 made me laugh out loud! Thank you for participating in this every year, encouraging me to keep doing it, and of course for your starters this year.

Lauren November 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM

These are some great ones. GMTA re #10!

debnance November 30, 2014 at 7:47 AM

After completing this activity, I'm starting to THINK LIKE A FREAK. I feel like I've been down THE LONGEST ROAD. Oh well, at least I was DARING GREATLY.

jen_forbus November 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Deb, you're cracking me up...I think this is a bit addictive. ;-)

jen_forbus November 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Thank you, my friend, for your continued creativity. You feed my obsession with this. :-)

jen_forbus November 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

But of course they do!! xoxo

Heather Martinez November 30, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Augh! Spent time Saturday typing up my response here, thought it posted, and now see it never made it. Well, I'll try again. Answers are by number(duh):

1....Shopaholic to the Stars -- Sophie Kinsella
2....(think you deserve) Annihilation -- Jeff VanderMeer
3....Margot -- Jillian Cantor
4....(it better be to satisfy my) Sweet Tooth -- Ian McEwan
5....(I'm usually) Cleaning Nabokov's House -- Leslie Daniels
6....(pretended to be) The Swiss Family Robinson -- Johann David Wyss
7....(look for) Pardonable Lies -- Jacqueline Winspear
8....Paris in Love -- Eloisa James
9....(Always have) A Place at the Table (for a lonely soul) -- Susan Rebecca White
10...Tres Leches Cupcakes (for everyone!) -- Josi Kilpack

I've never done this before and it was pretty fun! Certainly an interesting cross section of stuff I read this year.

Anna December 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Number 6 was really tough because I don't remember ever going to the zoo but I loved making this list!