Wow! It's Friday again. That week seemed to fly by, didn't it? And here we are past the mid-point of July. Yee gads!
So the hot topic this week was J.K. Rowling writing a crime novel under a pseudonym. I'm still trying to figure out why all the fuss. I mean, we don't have enough to worry about, we have to act silly about something like that? Good gracious!
I say we should talk about contests instead. Yes?
Here's one for the Faye Kellerman fans.
I think I have to enter this week's Friday Reads contest! They have James Lee Burke's new book THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD and Lisa Lutz's newest Spellman book THE LAST WORD.
Criminal Element has a chance for you to win a copy of David Gordon's MYSTERY GIRL.
And last but never least, Lesa Holstine has an Ann Cleeves giveaway this week. Remember Lesa's contest run each week until Friday at 6 Central, so don't lollygag if you want in on this week's contest!
As you can probably tell, I'm rushing to get to today's Five on Friday guest. I'm so excited to have Marcus Sakey back on the blog and more importantly, I'm so thrilled to be reading his new book right now. BRILLIANCE came out this past Tuesday and I'm completely engrossed in it right now. You'll definitely hear more about it next week.
For the veterans here on the blog, you've heard me singing Marcus' praises for years. His writing is incredible; he knows how to thrill his audience. He also likes to thrill himself with grand adventures and daring stunts so I'm looking forward to his bucket list answer. Marcus has a great sense of humor and is a terribly nice guy to boot. So please help me welcome one of crime fiction's true gems, Mr. Marcus Sakey!
1. If I could tell my 16-year-old self one piece of advice, knowing what I know now, it would be: Cut your hair. You look ridiculous.
2. One thing I have no tolerance for is being cut off. It drives me insane when people think they know where I’m going with a sentence. Even if you’re right, for chrissakes, a little courtesy.
3. A skill I’ve always wanted to have, but don’t is dancing. I love music, and man oh man would I love to be able to move to it. But I look like an epileptic squirrel on the dance floor. Mind you, that doesn’t stop me.
4. When I’m feeling under the weather, I order Thai food, cover it with Indian Ghost Peppers, close the curtains, and watch sci-fi. Nothing like sweating and gasping and sucking down water in the dark as I watch Firefly for the 179th time.
5. The #1 item on my bucket list right now is to teach my daughter to climb. She’s only sixteen months old, but she’s already got a knack for it, and scales every surface in reach.
Marcus' next trip up Mt. Ranier will be with 'lil Sakey tagging close behind. Or who knows, she may surpass him. And I do think this is a daring bucket list item because if anything should happen to Little Miss Sakey, I'm pretty sure Marcus' wife will inflict stunning pain on him.
Many thanks to Marcus. He's an individual always on the go, always busy, so I thrilled he could find some time for Five on Friday. And I hate to post and run, but I have to get back to BRILLIANCE, y'all! Have a super weekend and happy reading!