Monday, June 4, 2012

Longmire - The Premiere

"Longmire" premiered on A&E last night. I hope you all had a chance to watch and will weigh in on your thoughts.

With the exception of Lou Diamond Phillips, I was unfamiliar with any of the other actors - as most of you know, my television viewing is extremely limited these days so I'm not as familiar with actors as I have been in the past. But I think in many ways that helped me to be a little more unbiased. I didn't come in liking or disliking certain actors because of other roles they have performed in. That being said...

I have decided that I like the television show "Longmire" BUT I am going to watch it much the same way I have always watched "Bones." It is a separate entity unto itself. To try to see and make connections with the books "Longmire" is based on would only make me dislike the television show. The same is true for "Bones."

I also think I discovered why I don't watch as much television anymore. The lack of depth to plot has become disappointing to me. Obviously the television writers couldn't re-create the plot of THE COLD DISH in a one-hour show. And what they put together was very good, but it was very straight-forward and one-dimensional. One of the major reasons I love Craig Johnson's writing is that it isn't straight-forward and one-dimensional. There are layers and symbols and nuances and depth. You can do that in a 400-page book; a one-hour television show with commercials, not so much.

And that's where I'll stop my comparison with the books. As I said at the beginning, I'm going to view the show from here on out as a separate entity. So, let me run down a bit of what I really liked about "Longmire."

My favorite scene of the premiere was Walt handing "Branch" (a.k.a. Turk - sorry, I wasn't going to do that, right?) the HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES and telling him he needed to work on his detecting skills.

The focus on the lack of a cell phone for Walt illustrated a lot about his character. Given that they've chosen to make Walt younger, I think that's an important characteristic to bring out in him.

I also like the fallibility of Walt's character.

I love that Henry doesn't talk in contractions...although I did catch a "you're."

I think Cassidy Freeman as Cady is wonderful. Having seen just this first episode I would say she was the best cast character. Even though he was completely different from what I imagined and only showed up for a few seconds, I thought Omar (Louis Herthum) was great. And his short stint in this episode can lend itself to future opportunities with his character.

Those are my thoughts. Now it's your turn. What did you like or not like about the "Longmire" premiere? And if you're going to include any kind of spoiler in your comments please note that in all caps at the beginning of your comment, so if someone is still waiting to watch and doesn't want to know what happens, they can skip over your comment.

Lesa June 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I'm not as critical of TV mysteries as others are, Jen, so I was happy with it, and I'll watch future shows. I'm not one of those people who complain that the episode didn't match "The Cold Dish". Liked it & I'll look forward to future episodes. I liked Cady and Vic best.

I agree with you. Liked the Hound of the Baskervilles scene. I also liked Vic's, "Hello, Cinderella." There were some very good lines in this first episode.

BLB June 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I was really pleased with the premiere episode. I agree that the show shouldn't be compared too closely to the books but I do want the characters to be true to books in the way they behave or respond to each other and events. Walt was well played and Vic was great. I liked the little bit we saw of "the Ferg" as well. I hope we see more of Ruby (and maybe post-it notes) in future episodes.

le0pard13 June 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I was happy with LONGMIRE. I think it kept with the spirit of the book series but still carving out a niche for itself. I definitely will continue to follow the A&E series. Thanks, Jen.

Naomi Johnson June 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Like you, I don't watch much TV, Jen. I thought the show was okay, it got some things right and others not so much. I'm waiting to see the characters fully develop; as you say, a 400-page book can't be scrunched into a one-hour show, so I hope to see a gradual development in the future episodes. Nice to see that the ratings were so good, so at least the show should have a chance to develop!

Christine June 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Overall, we were happy with it! There's some kinks to be worked out, but I think most pilots are like that. Need an episode or two to bring out more of the characters. Loved the look of it. We'll keep watching.

Bella June 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I think I was anticipating too much for the show. I so love all the Longmire books that I just knew this was going to be a fantastic show. I have the show on DVR so I'm going to watch it again tomorrow with a more accepting attitude realizing the TV version is not the book. Overall I think it's going to be a good program.

Eileen K. June 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I'm right there with you, Jen. It wasn't so much that the story didn't track the book--the books have revealed the backstory gradually; TV is too impatient for that. It's that the characters are nothing like the characters in the books. My view is also colored by my having "read" the books in audio, so the masterful readings by George Guidall put not only voices but whole characters in my head. And those in the TV version aren't even close. I also have no idea why they cast an Australian for Walt Longmire. And in casting Lou Diamond Phillips, did they think all Indians are the same? I will probably watch another episode or two, but I have to stop thinking about it as the Craig Johnson stories on TV. They aren't. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

Kim Roberts June 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I thought "Longmire" was EXCELLENT, very heart-warming and the characters were very true-to-form. I think it followed the book closer than any TV show ever has, and look forward to watching this series in earnest! I loved the way "Walt" and "Vic" acted just like they do in the books, and felt the show altogether was gripping and action-packed. GREAT DEBUT!!!

caite June 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I liked the premiere! But then I haven't read any of the books, so I don't know how they compare. With tv shows or movies of a beloved book, it is always a problem...

Lara July 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

i agree with eilleen K - the characters are nothing like the books and though i know you can't reproduce a lovely layered and detailed novel in one hour, the basic characters should be built on the ones in the book.

we didn't have an american actor that could have played the role of walt?

robert taylor is wooden and there is NO chemistry with anyone in the cast. there is supposed to be this sexual tension between walt and vic but that is missing. that could have easily been built into the tv format.

and i would have been easy enough to use the post-it note bits in the show.

speaking of henry, puleeze, we didn't have a Indian actor that could have played henry, someone that closely resembles the character in the book? henry is supposed to be physically imposing. lou diamond phillips is not. and he is not indian. sometimes it's better to actually understand the basic underlying components to a story rather than take a generic western theme and then use only a vague outline of the published stories.

this could have been SO much better and still stayed within the constraints of television.

and the directing is amateurish at best. i knew we were in trouble when in the first episode walt was supposed to shed a few tears onto his boots, and about a cup of water landed on the leather. ok, maybe not a cup, but enough so i sat up and thought to myself "you've go to be kidding."

i guess more than anything, i'm bored by the show.

Labels

2011 2012 2013 Ace Atkins Adrian McKinty Agnete Friis Alafair Burke Alan Bradley Alan Glynn Alan Orloff Alex Berenson Alex Dryden Alexandra Sokoloff Andrew Grant Andrew Gross Anne Zouroudi Annie Barrows Ariana Franklin Arne Dahl Attica Locke audiobook jukebox Audiobooks author events Author Q/A Barry Eisler Bernard Cornwell Beth Ann Fennelly Bill Cameron Bill Crider Bill Loehfelm Bill Pronzini blog tour Book Events Book News Brad Meltzer Brad Parks Brent Ghelfi Brett Battles Brian Azzarello Brian Freeman Brian McGilloway Bryan Gruley C. J. Box C.J. West Camilla Läckberg Cara Black Carl Hiaasen Carla Buckley Carlos Ruiz Zafon Carter Wilson Catriona McPherson Charles Cumming Charlie Huston Charlie Newton Chevy Stevens Chris Grabenstein Chris Holm Chris Kluwe Christa Faust Christopher Reich Christopher Rice Chuck Greaves CJ Lyons Claude Berube Colin Cotterill Cozy Mystery Craig Johnson Craig McDonald CRCRC crime caper Crime Fiction Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime CWCRC D.A. Mishani Dana Cameron Daniel Palmer Daniel Silva DATW Dave Barry David Baldacci David Corbett David Ellis David Handler David Hayward David Morrell David Rosenfelt Deborah Coonts Deborah Crombie Declan Burke Denise Hamilton Denise Mina Dennis Lehane Detective Fiction Diane Stuckart Don Bruns Don Winslow Donald E Westlake Donato Carrisi Douglas Corleone Duane Swierczynski dystopian Earl Emerson ebook Ed Lynskey Edoardo Ballerini Elizabeth Hand Elizabeth Haynes Emma Donoghue Eric Beetner F. Paul Wilson FFB Five on Friday Focus Features Forensic Science Foul Play Books Francine Mathews Gabriella Herkert Gar Anthony Haywood Gayle Lynds General Fiction George Guidall George Pelecanos Gillian Flynn Graham Brown Gregg Hurwitz Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Harlan Coben Harley Jane Kozak Harper Lee Herman Koch Heroes and Villains Hilary Davidson Historical Fiction Hugh Laurie Ian Rankin Inger Frimansson Ingrid Thoft international thriller J.J. Myers J.T. Ellison James Barney James Conway James Crumley James DuPont James Fredericks James Grippando James Lee Burke James LePore James O. Born Jamie Freveletti Jan Burke Jane Cleland Janet Evanovich January LaVoy Jassy Mackenzie Jed Rubenfeld Jeff Abbott Jeff Woodman Jeffery Deaver Jeffrey Cohen Jeffrey Siger Jennifer McMahon JIAB2011 JIAM2013 Jill Thompson Jo Nesbø Joelle Charbonneau John Connolly John Grisham John Hart John Lescroart John Sandford John Shannon John Verdon Johnny Shaw Jon Land Jonathan Hayes Jonathan Kellerman Jonathan Schuppe Joseph Finder Joseph Wallace Joseph Wambaugh Josh Bazell Josh Corin Joy Castro Julia Heaberlin Julia Pomeroy Julia Spencer-Fleming Julie Hyzy Juliet Blackwell Karen Fossum Karen Olson Karin Slaughter Katherine Kellgren Keith Thomson Kelli Stanley Kelly Braffet Ken Bruen Ken Isaacson Kevin Guilfoile Kimberly McCreight Lachlan Smith Laura Lippman Laurie R King Lawrence Block Lee Child Left Coast Crime Legal Thriller Lene Kaaberbøl Lenny Kleinfeld Les Roberts Liad Shoham Libby Hellmann Linda Castillo Linda Fairstein Linwood Barclay Lisa Ballantyne Lisa Black Lisa Brackmann Lisa Gardner Lisa Lutz Lisa Unger Literary Mystery Lori Roy Lou Berney Louis Bayard Louise Erdrich Louise Penny Louise Ure MacLeod Andrews Marcia Clark Marcus Sakey Mark Billingham Mark Gimenez Mark Hammer Mark Pryor Mark Sullivan Markus Zusak Martin Limon Martyn Waites Mary Higgins Clark Matt Coyle Matthew Dicks Matthew Pearl Matthew Quirk Medical Thriller Meg Gardiner Megan Abbott Memoirs Meredith Cole MfM 2011 Michael Chabon Michael Connelly Michael Harvey Michael Koryta Michael Lister Michael Stanley Michael Van Rooy Michael Wiley Michelle Gagnon Middle Grade Mike Lawson military thriller Murder and Mayhem in Muskego Narrator Interviews Nevada Barr Nonfiction novella NPM Oliver Harris Owen Laukkanen p.i. fiction paranormal Paranormal Thriller Pat Conroy Paul Levine Pete Larkin Peter Berkrot Peter Robinson PI Fiction poetry Police Procedural political thriller Psychological Thriller R.J. Ellory Ralph Cosham Raymond Chandler Rebecca Cantrell Reed Farrel Coleman Reg E. Cathey Review review copy Richard Lange Ridley Pearson Robert B. Parker Robert Crais Robert Dugoni Robert Fate Robert Greer Robert Gregory Browne Robert Pobi Robin Burcell Rochelle Staab romantic suspense Rosemary Harris Ross Macdonald Rupinder Gill Ruth Rendell Ryan David Jahn S. J. Watson S.J. Rozan Sandra Ruttan Sara Gruen Sara Henry Sara Paretsky Sarah Weinman Sasha Abramsky Sci-Fi scientific thriller Scott Turow Sean Black Sean Chercover Sean Doolittle Shane Gericke Shelf Awareness review Short Stories Simon Lewis Simon Prebble Simon Vance Simon Wood Six-word Memoirs Sophie Hannah Sophie Littlefield Spencer Quinn spy thriller Stefanie Pintoff Stephen Cannell Stephen Coonts Stephen Jay Schwartz Stephen King Stephen White Steve Forman Steve Hamilton Steve Hockensmith Steve Mosby Steve Ulfelder Steven Forman Stieg Larsson Stuart Macbride Sue Ann Jaffarian Sue Grafton Susan Arnout Smith Suspense/Mystery T. Jefferson Parker Tania Carver Tasha Alexander Tess Gerritsen theme week Theresa Schwegel Thomas Holland Thomas Kaufman Thomas Young Thriller Tim Dorsey Tim Maleeny Timothy Hallinan tlc book tours Todd Ritter Tom Franklin Tom Piccirilli Tom Schreck Toni McGee Causey Tony Hays Tony Hillerman Trevanian Truman Capote Val McDermid Victor Gischler Walter Mosley Warren Ellis Wayne Arthurson Will Lavender William Kent Krueger Xe Sands xuni author Yasmina Khadra Young Adult Young Readers Yrsa Sigurdardóttir Zoë Sharp

Great Indie Bookstores

xuni

xuni
An amazing collection of authors!

Traffic Map