I found myself a little frustrated continually seeing bios that simply listed awards won or social media accounts that only had a picture of a book jacket. What about the PEOPLE? I want to see behind the green curtain and know what the magic looks like. So, what I've done is create some quirky, kinda zany questions. There are a few different versions of the lists, each person received one version that contained eight different questions. They got to choose four of those eight and then had to answer "What's the #1 thing on your bucket list right now?"
Fittingly, Craig agreed to be the guinea pig for the first week. His eighth book in the Walt Longmire series, AS THE CROW FLIES, releases on Tuesday. If you missed my review yesterday, you can see it here along with my thoughts on his short story "Divorce Horse." You can check out an earlier interview I did with Craig here. Fittingly, I had asked him about casting his characters if there was a movie. The "Longmire" television show due out next month doesn't match that cast, but we're all looking forward to seeing it.
Craig actually chose to answer all the questions, so you'll get a little extra glimpse of the man behind Walt Longmire and crew:
1. My favorite place to read is: In my chair in the breezeway of my house on an old Molesworth-like chair (can’t afford the real thing) under an old lightning-rod floor lamp I found… Dangerous, huh?
Craig Johnson and Cassius May
2. I consider [fill in the blank] totally over-rated because: Tweeting, because who cares if I’m having a latte and it tastes great… (Note: according to Viking/Penguin/Warner Horizon/A&E I have to start tweeting…)
3. The last movie I saw was: Can’t even remember the last time I went to the movies; which says a lot, really…
4. The most famous person I ever met was: Lou Whitaker, snowed in on Mount Rainier at 12,000 feet. It was fabulous listening to him tell stories about growing up with his brother, who was the first American to climb Everest.
5. The worst vacation I ever took was: The family ones when I was a kid, in the back of a ’66 Plymouth Station Wagon—need I say more?
6. If I had to be stranded on a desert island with only one other person it would be: My wife, Judy, because she’s my best friend, funny, a wonderful conversationalist, and a hottie.
7. My favorite kind of cookie is: Any and all.
8. My favorite brand of athletic shoe is: Saucony, because they don’t use sweat shops in Asia.
and the #1 thing on Craig's bucket list:
Climb Mount Rainier; I’ve taken two shots at it and have gotten shut down both times by massive snowstorms…
I'll leave the mountain climbing to Craig! Many thanks to Craig for kicking off the new feature. Hope you all enjoyed it and hope you'll take a closer look at Craig's books if you haven't already. You can find out more about Craig, his books, his new book tour and the upcoming television show at his website.