Monday, January 31, 2011

A Heartfelt Farewell to The Mystery Bookstore

Today is the final day of business for The Mystery Bookstore in Los Angeles. If you are in that area, be sure to stop in to their farewell party tonight.

Since I can't be there, I wanted to send my own farewell wishes and sincere thanks to the staff. I had a slew of friends who agreed to help me and this is what we put together. I hope you'll take a few minutes to enjoy it and then leave your own farewell in the comments. This post is a tribute to a wonderful store, a wonderful staff and the end of an era in crime fiction.

Thank you Mystery Bookstore! We Love You!

Sue Ann Jaffarian January 31, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Lovely tribute, Jen. I will be at the party tonight, though a big part of me does not want to go. I don't want to witness the last breath of the bookstore I call home. But neither do I want to miss giving my thanks in person to a store and staff that has made being a reader and a writer so enjoyable and fun.

Dana Kaye January 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Jen,
This tribute is perfect, thanks for taking time to the compile photos, thoughts, and memories. I know Linda and Bobby appreciate it.

Best,
Dana

libbyfh January 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Wow, Jen! Just wow! It was beautiful. Thank you. It nearly brought me to tears.

Marcus Sakey January 31, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Beautiful work, Jen.

Linda, Bobby, we're going to miss you in the hugest way. MBS was everybody's favorite tour stop. You made everyone feel like they'd just come home.

Cheers to you both, and to the Mystery Bookstore!
-Marcus

Bill Cameron January 31, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Wonderful. Thank you, Jen!

Bobby McCue January 31, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Makes me teary-eyed. You all are still family. Thanks to all the authors and customers who helped make the store a vital resource. We'll see you down the road apiece.

le0pard13 January 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Great, great tribute to THE MYSTERY BOOKSTORE, Jen. As Sue Ann said, I'll be there tonight but it is still hard to believe that it will be for the last time. Many thanks, Jen.

Beth F January 31, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Sob!

Dianne Emley January 31, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Lovely, Jen, and bittersweet.

Lori Wolf January 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM

A fitting tribute to the heart of the So Cal mystery community.

Jamie Freveletti January 31, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Wonderful tribute to a wonderful place.

Timothy Hallinan January 31, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Very beautiful and heartfelt, Jen. Will be there tonight with Brett and Eric and Rob and God only knows how many others. Just went to Ed Wright's signing there, and Bobby said he'd personally sold 700 of Ed's first book. It there had been 50 bookstores as caring at this one, Ed would be the star he deserves to be, rather than one of the best relatively unsung heroes of the genre.

So sorry to see them go.

Eric Beetner January 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Well done. So great to see the memories and hear what TMB meant to so many authors. I'll be there tonight for the final goodbye so this was a great start to a day of tribute.

Mystery Dawg January 31, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I shall be there too. Its too bad that economics allow a place like the Mystery Bookstore to close. If Borders can get a $550 million bailout loan, why can't the independents do the same? I'm a little angry this morning.

Christine January 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

The video's pitch perfect, Jen. Well done!

Those of us unable to attend are counting on those of you in L.A. to help give The Mystery Bookstore crew a proper sendoff. Celebrate the sense of community and what a bookstore should be that TMB shared with all of us!

To Linda, Bobby and crew - you set the standard by which I compare other bookstores. You're simply the best. The great pre-party and THE booth to visit at the L.A. Times Festival of Books were definitely highlights from my trip to L.A. last year! Thank you.

Cheers and hugs from a reader and fan in Nashville!

Anonymous January 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Amazing, Jen! I'll be there tonight. I so wish you could be there, too. Thanks for putting this together. We're going to miss the place very much.
Stephen Jay Schwartz

Alafair Burke January 31, 2011 at 3:12 PM

You're a peach to do this, Jen. I can tell how much thought and work you put into it. I'll miss the hell out of that place. Love to Linda, Bobby, et al!

Lee Goldberg January 31, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Wonderfully done, Jen. I'll be at the party tonight...and remembering hundreds of others I've been to there over the last two decades.

Lee

Rebecca Cantrell January 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Thank you, Jen, for putting this together! The closing of a wonderful home for mystery writers and readers should not pass unnoticed. The Mystery Bookstore was a wonderful place to visit. I am so very grateful that I managed to pass through their doors.

I'll miss you, Bobby and Linda!

susan arnout smith January 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Jen, this is beautiful. Bobby and Linda and the gang: I can't imagine the world without this nurturing, magical place. I'm still reeling.

Michael Wiley January 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM

What a great video -- for a great store.

Carol Fitzgerald February 1, 2011 at 7:41 AM

What a great great tribute piece. Thank you for giving me trip down memory lane; in a few minutes you hit every high note about a store I loved to visit whenever I was in LA. The LA Times Festival of Books will not be the same for me without my annual visit to both the store and their booth throughout that weekend. I met so many authors through Linda and Bobby. Thank you!

Boodleheimer February 1, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Things come and go, and the world changes, and mostly we accept it, but sometimes it leaves us with the bitter taste of ashes in our mouths.

I really liked this store and though I'm not an author or an insider, it still felt like a welcome haven. It could easily have felt otherwise. Sometimes the need for such a haven is great and the havens are few.

Thanks to the store staff, management and ownership. Cheers.

Ed Wright February 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM

There was a party at 1036 Broxton the other night. It was a terrific blowout, quite possibly the best gathering ever of people who write, sell, and read mystery novels. But the next morning we all woke up knowing something was missing and could not be replaced.
Thank you, Jen, for the tribute. Thank you, Bobby, Linda, and the entire exceptional staff who over the years made me and countless other writers feel so welcome there. The store may be gone, but the community it nurtured is still around, and we’re all part of it.

Hank Phillippi Ryan February 3, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Fantastic! Oh. eloquent, nostalgic, and quite quite perfect...
My only wish--is that you didn't have to do it.

Labels

2011 2012 2013 Ace Atkins Adrian McKinty Agnete Friis Alafair Burke Alan Bradley Alan Glynn Alan Orloff Alex Berenson Alex Dryden Alexandra Sokoloff Andrew Grant Andrew Gross Anne Zouroudi Annie Barrows Ariana Franklin Arne Dahl Attica Locke audiobook jukebox Audiobooks author events Author Q/A Barry Eisler Bernard Cornwell Beth Ann Fennelly Bill Cameron Bill Crider Bill Loehfelm Bill Pronzini blog tour Book Events Book News Brad Meltzer Brad Parks Brent Ghelfi Brett Battles Brian Azzarello Brian Freeman Brian McGilloway Bryan Gruley C. J. Box C.J. West Camilla Läckberg Cara Black Carl Hiaasen Carla Buckley Carlos Ruiz Zafon Carter Wilson Catriona McPherson Charles Cumming Charlie Huston Charlie Newton Chevy Stevens Chris Grabenstein Chris Holm Chris Kluwe Christa Faust Christopher Reich Christopher Rice Chuck Greaves CJ Lyons Claude Berube Colin Cotterill Cozy Mystery Craig Johnson Craig McDonald CRCRC crime caper Crime Fiction Crime Writers Caught Recommending Crime CWCRC D.A. Mishani Dana Cameron Daniel Palmer Daniel Silva DATW Dave Barry David Baldacci David Corbett David Ellis David Handler David Hayward David Morrell David Rosenfelt Deborah Coonts Deborah Crombie Declan Burke Denise Hamilton Denise Mina Dennis Lehane Detective Fiction Diane Stuckart Don Bruns Don Winslow Donald E Westlake Donato Carrisi Douglas Corleone Duane Swierczynski dystopian Earl Emerson ebook Ed Lynskey Edoardo Ballerini Elizabeth Hand Elizabeth Haynes Emma Donoghue Eric Beetner F. Paul Wilson FFB Five on Friday Focus Features Forensic Science Foul Play Books Francine Mathews Gabriella Herkert Gar Anthony Haywood Gayle Lynds General Fiction George Guidall George Pelecanos Gillian Flynn Graham Brown Gregg Hurwitz Hallie Ephron Hank Phillippi Ryan Harlan Coben Harley Jane Kozak Harper Lee Herman Koch Heroes and Villains Hilary Davidson Historical Fiction Hugh Laurie Ian Rankin Inger Frimansson Ingrid Thoft international thriller J.J. Myers J.T. Ellison James Barney James Conway James Crumley James DuPont James Fredericks James Grippando James Lee Burke James LePore James O. Born Jamie Freveletti Jan Burke Jane Cleland Janet Evanovich January LaVoy Jassy Mackenzie Jed Rubenfeld Jeff Abbott Jeff Woodman Jeffery Deaver Jeffrey Cohen Jeffrey Siger Jennifer McMahon JIAB2011 JIAM2013 Jill Thompson Jo Nesbø Joelle Charbonneau John Connolly John Grisham John Hart John Lescroart John Sandford John Shannon John Verdon Johnny Shaw Jon Land Jonathan Hayes Jonathan Kellerman Jonathan Schuppe Joseph Finder Joseph Wallace Joseph Wambaugh Josh Bazell Josh Corin Joy Castro Julia Heaberlin Julia Pomeroy Julia Spencer-Fleming Julie Hyzy Juliet Blackwell Karen Fossum Karen Olson Karin Slaughter Katherine Kellgren Keith Thomson Kelli Stanley Kelly Braffet Ken Bruen Ken Isaacson Kevin Guilfoile Kimberly McCreight Lachlan Smith Laura Lippman Laurie R King Lawrence Block Lee Child Left Coast Crime Legal Thriller Lene Kaaberbøl Lenny Kleinfeld Les Roberts Liad Shoham Libby Hellmann Linda Castillo Linda Fairstein Linwood Barclay Lisa Ballantyne Lisa Black Lisa Brackmann Lisa Gardner Lisa Lutz Lisa Unger Literary Mystery Lori Roy Lou Berney Louis Bayard Louise Erdrich Louise Penny Louise Ure MacLeod Andrews Marcia Clark Marcus Sakey Mark Billingham Mark Gimenez Mark Hammer Mark Pryor Mark Sullivan Markus Zusak Martin Limon Martyn Waites Mary Higgins Clark Matt Coyle Matthew Dicks Matthew Pearl Matthew Quirk Medical Thriller Meg Gardiner Megan Abbott Memoirs Meredith Cole MfM 2011 Michael Chabon Michael Connelly Michael Harvey Michael Koryta Michael Lister Michael Stanley Michael Van Rooy Michael Wiley Michelle Gagnon Middle Grade Mike Lawson military thriller Murder and Mayhem in Muskego Narrator Interviews Nevada Barr Nonfiction novella NPM Oliver Harris Owen Laukkanen p.i. fiction paranormal Paranormal Thriller Pat Conroy Paul Levine Pete Larkin Peter Berkrot Peter Robinson PI Fiction poetry Police Procedural political thriller Psychological Thriller R.J. Ellory Ralph Cosham Raymond Chandler Rebecca Cantrell Reed Farrel Coleman Reg E. Cathey Review review copy Richard Lange Ridley Pearson Robert B. Parker Robert Crais Robert Dugoni Robert Fate Robert Greer Robert Gregory Browne Robert Pobi Robin Burcell Rochelle Staab romantic suspense Rosemary Harris Ross Macdonald Rupinder Gill Ruth Rendell Ryan David Jahn S. J. Watson S.J. Rozan Sandra Ruttan Sara Gruen Sara Henry Sara Paretsky Sarah Weinman Sasha Abramsky Sci-Fi scientific thriller Scott Turow Sean Black Sean Chercover Sean Doolittle Shane Gericke Shelf Awareness review Short Stories Simon Lewis Simon Prebble Simon Vance Simon Wood Six-word Memoirs Sophie Hannah Sophie Littlefield Spencer Quinn spy thriller Stefanie Pintoff Stephen Cannell Stephen Coonts Stephen Jay Schwartz Stephen King Stephen White Steve Forman Steve Hamilton Steve Hockensmith Steve Mosby Steve Ulfelder Steven Forman Stieg Larsson Stuart Macbride Sue Ann Jaffarian Sue Grafton Susan Arnout Smith Suspense/Mystery T. Jefferson Parker Tania Carver Tasha Alexander Tess Gerritsen theme week Theresa Schwegel Thomas Holland Thomas Kaufman Thomas Young Thriller Tim Dorsey Tim Maleeny Timothy Hallinan tlc book tours Todd Ritter Tom Franklin Tom Piccirilli Tom Schreck Toni McGee Causey Tony Hays Tony Hillerman Trevanian Truman Capote Val McDermid Victor Gischler Walter Mosley Warren Ellis Wayne Arthurson Will Lavender William Kent Krueger Xe Sands xuni author Yasmina Khadra Young Adult Young Readers Yrsa Sigurdardóttir Zoë Sharp

Great Indie Bookstores

xuni

xuni
An amazing collection of authors!

Traffic Map