This week I'm going to have a series of posts related to wrapping up 2010. Next week, between the holidays I have some very special guest posts for you, so if you have the time, I hope you'll check in. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!
I decided to start the wrap-up week with my post about the new-to-me authors I've read. Total books read for 2010 will be between 100-103 books from at least 69 different authors (depends on how much reading I can fit in with the holidays). But for sure I will have read 42 new-to-me authors. What a wonderful year this has been for my discovery of amazing new authors. You'll see quite a few of these mentioned throughout this week as I present my "favorites" list later. But let's take a look at the collective list. I've bold-faced the authors who are debut authors this year.
- Walter Mosley (Devil in the Blue Dress, The Long Fall)
- Marcus Sakey (Good People, The Blade Itself, The Amateurs)
- Kelli Stanley (City of Dragons)
- Michael Palmer (The Last Surgeon)
- Nancy Martin (Our Lady of Immaculate Deception)
- Keith Thomson (Once a Spy)
- Steve Hamilton (The Lock Artist, A Cold Day in Paradise)
- John Sandford (Mind Prey)
- A.E. Maxwell (Just Another Day in Paradise)
- Megan Abbott (Die a Little)
- Jeffrey A. Cohen (The Killing of Mindi Quintana)
- Mark Gimenez (The Color of Law)
- Rebecca Cantrell (A Night of Long Knives)
- Susan Shae (Murder in the Abstract)
- Gar Anthony Haywood (Cemetery Road)
- Jamie Freveletti (Running Dark)
- Charlie Huston (The Mystic Art of Erasing All Signs of Death)
- Harry Dolan (Bad Things Happen)
- Joe Wallace (Diamond Ruby)
- John Verdon (Think of a Number)
- Bryan Gruley (Starvation Lake)
- Kevin Guilfoile (Cast of Shadows)
- Ellen Horan (31 Bond Street)
- Paul Levine (Solomon Vs Lord, The Deep Blue Alibi)
- Michael Van Rooy (An Ordinary Decent Criminal) - U.S. debut
- Stephen Jay Schwartz (Boulevard)
- Daniel Silva (The Rembrandt Affair)
- Inger Ash Wolfe (The Calling)
- Hilary Davidson (The Damage Done)
- Joel Goldman (No Way Out)
- Douglas Corleone (One Man's Paradise)
- R.J. Ellory (Candlemoth, A Silent Belief in Angels, The Anniversary Man, A Simple Act of Violence) - yeah, I kinda liked him!
- David Champion (Bomber Bombs)
- Zoe Ferraris (Finding Nouf)
- S.J. Rozan (Concourse)
- Val McDermid (Blue Genes, Report for Murder)
- Mark Billingham (The Burning Girl)
- Tami Hoag (Secrets to the Grave)
- Jim Fusilli (Narrows Gate)
- Emma Donoghue (Room)
- Jasper Fforde (Lost in a Good Book)
- Ogawa Yoko (The Housekeeper and the Professor)
Those are all the new-to-me authors from this year. There are some that one experience reading them was enough, many have been added to my must read list. I've obtained a number of their other books and they're already contributing to my overwhelming to-be-read list.
I know you're probably looking at this list going, "she hadn't read HIM/HER before this year?" That's the sad truth; I am, however, slowly filling in my embarrassing gaps.
How about you? Who was new to you this year? Share with us in the comments. If you created your own blog post about it, share your link so we can come see. Up on the docket for tomorrow - my favorite audiobooks! See ya then!